Just One Reason To Act On December 10


Dorje Rinchen Gunned Down by China’s Gestapo

A report just released by the Tibetan Center for Human Rights and Democracy (TCHRD) reveals the horrific nature of the attack by Chinese paramilitary thugs on the Monastery in Kardze, Kham  Just 18 years-old Dorjee Rinchen,  a monk, managed to survice last year’s vicious assault on Tongkor Monastery, and escape into India after a perilous journey across  the Himalaya. He provided his testimony of the attack, in which during April 3, 2008 Chinese troops gunned down peaceful protesters,  to TCHRD.

Last year on 2nd April 2008, a protest flared up in Tongkor Monastery Kardze, Kham (so-called  Kardze County, Kardze “Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture”, Sichuan Province)  with the arrival of official “work team” to conduct “patriotic education” campaign in the monastery. Under the “patriotic education” campaign, it requires monks to denounce the Dalai Lama, to oppose “hostile separatist forces”, signing documents displaying their allegiance to the Communist Party and its policies inside Tibet. On 3rd April 2008, a huge contingent of People’s Armed Police “PAP” and Public Security Bureau (“PSB) in about hundred military trucks arrived at Zithang Township, where Tongkor Monastery is located.

Chinese security forces along with “patriotic education” work team raided residences of monks, vandalized the photos of the Dalai Lama, Tongkor Shabdrung Rinpoche and Panchen Lama. The actions by the “work team” triggered protest by monks who refused to undergo “patriotic education” session. In ensuing moments, the protest broke out when two Tibetans, one a senior monk and another a lay man were detained following their opposition and refusal to adhere and undergo “patriotic education” campaign.

Subsequently in the same evening, hundreds of strong monastic community, also joined by local Tibetans marched towards County government headquarters to demand the immediate release of Geshe Tsultrim Tenzin and layman Tsultrim Phuntsok. The protesters left the scene after being assured by Chinese officials that the two detained Tibetans would soon be released by 8 PM of 3 April 2008. However, when Chinese authorities failed to honour their promise, the protesting Tibetans returned for the protest march but on the way they were confronted by a heavy presence of “PAP” and “PSB” officials, which later developed into a scuffle. Soon Chinese security forces fired live ammunitions at the protesting Tibetans, resulting in the death of at least 14 known Tibetans and injuring scores.


Dorje Narrowly Escaped Chinese Death Squad

The official mouthpiece, Xinhua, admitted the incident having being taken place but described it as a “riot”, mentioning only about an injury of one government official all together skipping the deaths, arrests and injuries inflicted on Tibetans. One of the survivors, an eye-witness of the Tongkor massacre who previously sustained and now recovered from a severe gunshot injury had recently arrived at Dharamsala, testified to the Tibetan Centre for Human Rights and Democracy (TCHRD) on 27 November 2009.

Grateful appreciation to TCHRD

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s